20 May, 2024
1 min read

Community Organizations to Hold Voter Engagement Day

News Brief Several community organizations are holding a Voter Engagement Day on Thursday, November 3rd to encourage people to exercise their right to vote. The New Britain Branch NAACP#2006, Pride of CT Elk Lodge #1437, Spottswood Political Action Committee and New Britain Black Democratic Club are jointly hosting the event. In encouraging people to attend the event, the New […]

1 min read

Rana Plaza: Shaheena*

I woke up in my grave before I died. Not once, but time and darkening time again. I’d heard the floor explode and then the space that was the room changed places with the wall. I was drowned in brick, was gripped, was turned to dust, became a mote of broken plaster, became the blinded […]

2 mins read

NAACP Declares “Our Lives Matter, Our Votes Count”

News Brief State Senator Gary Winfield (D-New Haven, West Haven) offered a call for understanding for African American youth, who rail with passion against discrimination, in his inspiring keynote speech at the 2016 New Britain NAACP Freedom Fund Dinner. The theme for the celebration was, “Our Lives Matter, Our Votes Count”. Winfield pointed out that […]